Bajaj Dominar 400 non-ABS variant discontinued owing to lower demand.
Asian consumers clearly understand the importance of safety these days, especially when it comes to 2-wheelers. The very fact that Bajaj has discontinued the non-ABS variant of its flagship motorcycle, the Dominar 400 supports the above statement. Bajaj had launched the Dominar 400 back in December 2016 in two variants – non-ABS and ABS.
More than 80% Dominar buyers have opted for the ABS variant while only the rest 20% chose to go for the non-ABS grade, hence Bajaj’s decision to shelve the non-ABS variant. The Dominar 400 shares the same engine as that of the KTM Duke 390 but slightly detuned to match its cruiser characteristics. Mated to a 6-speed gearbox, the 373.3cc single-cylinder, liquid-cooled and fuel-injected motor produces 35 PS of power and 35 Nm of torque.
Clearly, one of the best value for money motorcycles in the country today, the dual-channel ABS variant is currently priced at Rs. 1.58 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) and offers a slipper clutch, full-LED headlamp, LED tail-light and fully-digital instrument cluster. The vehicle recently received a slight makeover for the year 2018 and is now available in three colours – Rock Matte Black, Glacier Blue and Canyon Red. All the three colours get gold-finished alloy wheels as standard.
The power cruiser is positioned against the segment best seller Royal Enfield Classic 350 and has quite failed to meet the company’s expectations. The automaker had set a target of 10,000 units a month while in reality, the bike manages to sell around 1500-2000 numbers a month. But that’s also due to the fact that the Dominar is an entirely new brand and it does need time to build some momentum.
Bajaj Dominar 400 Non-ABS Variant
– Non-ABS variant of Dominar 400 discontinued
– Bajaj cites reason as ‘lesser demand’
– The flagship Bajaj is good for the city as well as highway stints
Update– Bajaj Auto has officially stated that the non-ABS version of the Dominar 400 will continue to be sold in Matte Black colour while the ABS variant is available in Matte Black, Canyon Red and Glacier Blue colours.